When I can’t go back to sleep, I get up and bake. Wide awake at 3:30 am this morning. Ugh. I will pay for that about 7:30 pm when I can’t keep my eyes open. It doesn’t happen often, but it can be because I’ve had a bad dream or I just wake up thinking about stuff (all of which is out of my control).
So, this morning I happened to remember that I have a box of Post Great Grains cereal in the cabinet. Raisins, dates & pecans. Pretty yummy combination. With some almond milk and a cup of hot coffee with cream. None of which I can have until I have been awake for at least an hour because that’s how long I have to wait after taking my dose of Synthroid.
Anyway, it’s not a bad way to start the day… with a great smelling kitchen and a delicious breakfast treat.
Great Grains Monday Morning Muffins
makes 20-24, depending on the size of your muffin cups
- 3/4 cup brown Sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (or 1-1/3 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup AP flour)
- 2 cups Great Grains Cereal (I used raisins, dates & pecans)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups milk (whole or low-fat)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or applesauce)
- Pre-heat oven to 425F or 220C.
- Grease muffin tin or place wrappers in tin. In a mixing bowl with a whisk stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and the cereal. Add the milk, beaten eggs, the oil (or applesauce) and vanilla. Mix just until blended. Place in muffin tin 2/3 full. Sprinkle some crushed cereal on top of each muffin. I also put a pecan half on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until baked through and golden brown on top. (Only 13 minutes in my oven.)
Bon appétit! I hope that you are still sleeping and that you are having very pleasant dreams! Here’s to a much calmer week in North Carolina. Fall has arrived and we deserve a week of blue skies.